Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hot Water Hero

Yesterday I was fussing about not wanting to make dinner and as I was sitting here blogging about it I heard a noise. It only lasted a couple of seconds and along with the noise the power flickered. A little while later it happened again. I went down stairs and checked things out, like I know what I'm looking at. Of course I found nothing unusual. So I did what any good wife would do, I called my honey and told him. I went on about my business, took a shower and went to turn on the dryer, that's when I found the problem. There was a rather large puddle of water escaping from the water heater. Kind of like the bounty commercial...it's a three sheeter...except this was a three bath toweler. Of course I did again what all good wives do, called my husband. Unfortunately this took him away from his plans of an afternoon with his mom, sorry mom. He came home and very calmly examined the situation and got a list of needed materials and off to Menards we went. Now if you don't know my husband very well he can be easily frustrated with this type of unexpected home improvement project, especially considering the conditions of the installation. Our heating ducts are positioned approximately 1 inch above the water heater, he never said a word about it, just assessed the problem and moved along. I am so proud of him for that. Anyway, we get home he begins to start the removal process of the old one. I had to leave I had a prior commitment that I could not miss, I'm sure this was a God thing considering spouses don't always work together the best in situations like this one. When I got home the old one was almost drained so we ate dinner, which by the way Matins cooked (deli chicken), and they removed the old one. In just a short time the new one was installed. Bob connected the electric and it was just a matter of time before we had hot water. I went ahead and went to bed. When I got up this morning I expected hot water, it was still cold. I assumed Bob already knew this but I did not want to be the one to tell him, just in case he didn't. He just calmly asked, "was the water hot?" I replied, "no." He simply said, "I figured." He went to the hardware store, came home, worked on it a few minutes and now we have hot water! He is now my, Hot Water Hero! He laughs but I'm serious! No hot water...a BIG deal. Fixing the problem...even BIGGER deal!

All this to say I am so thankful that God worked it all out! He kept 60 gallons of water from exploding all over my basement (which is my bedroom), that when we bought the new heater it was about 70.00 off the original price, and through the removal and installation process God blessed Bob with such a great attitude and even temper! If it had to go out...God couldn't have done it any better! Go figure...He's just amazing that way.

No comments: