Monday, July 28, 2008

End of One Chapter, A New One Begins

We helped my mother-in-law over the last several days with a yard sale. In essence she took most everything that she and Joe accumulated over the last 60 years and got rid of most of it. She kept a few things that meant something to her and parted with the rest. I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to pack up Joe's clothes that didn't sell. The jacket that I have seen him wear for years and his sweater, I didn't expect the emotions to surface that did. I know how difficult it was for me so I can't imagine how this has been for her. She was extremely strong through it all.

She also collects buttons. She has not only collected them but sorted, separated them, sewn them on "cards" and has had them as long as I have known her (23 years), actually longer. She was going to have to part with them. Funny how I really don't hold things close, they are just things. But for some reason I just couldn't see her part with what she held so dear. Needless to say we are now storing a massive amount of buttons. I wouldn't, actually I couldn't have done anything otherwise.

She is now living with her oldest daughter, Georgia. This should be a great mix. Willadene is one who needs to mother and Georgia is one who could use a little mothering. Please pray for this new chapter in their lives, for the strength and courage to face whatever the future holds. Also, for some much needed joy and laughter, they (we all) could use more.

No comments: