Monday, June 23, 2008

Should I have done more and if so what?

Last Monday we went to Wings, Etc. While we were sitting there waiting for everyone to show up a young lady came up to me and it took me a minute to recognize her. It was a student that had been in my Eagle's nest for 3 years. It has been about 3 years since I have seen or talked to her. When she first sat down she told me that she is pregnant, due in September. Her grandma died on May 9, 2008 (her grandma was the only mother she really had). She is on probation for shop lifting ($2.00 away from a felony). She is now going to night school, because of the pregnancy and the fact that she continually got into fights at school.

I asked what happened...she fell into the wrong crowd. Fortunately she is away from that crowd now. She mentioned she isn't going to church anywhere...the friend she used to go with every week, well they are no longer friends. She doesn't really know what happened to their friendship...it just ended.

Should I have made more of an effort after she left Oasis...would it have made a difference...did God put her back on my radar for a reason?

2 comments:

Standing In the Rain said...

Everybody always goes over decisions and situations asking what if I had done that or this. The truth is we'll never know, but what we have to remember is that what did happen must have been in God's plan or it wouldn't have taken place. We always have to try to listen to God and hear if he's telling us to do something. Maybe that girl had to hit rock bottom in order for her to realize that she needs Jesus and can't live without him. Maybe you seen her because you are supposed to help her with some of her problems. Maybe God's putting you back into her life because she just needs a friend that she can trust. Just listen to what God is telling you in your heart and he'll show you the way he wants you to go.

~Shelby~

Bridget said...

Yeah i know how you feel. I had a student do that to me a few years ago. She was my student in 8th grade and my high school leader in 9th, then she disapearred. The next time i heard from her was the next summer after she had a baby. The father disapearred and she almost committed suicide. I feel like I failed her. What more could I have done?